1.5 lb. Firemen's axe with 14" curved handle. Traditional pickhead style. Cutting bit on one end and a pick designed to penetrate on the other. Cutting edge is approximately 3 inches in overall length.
* Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
* Hand sharpened, tapered cutting edge.
* ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
* Body coated with red enamel and the cutting edge in clear lacquer to deter rust.
* 14" American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
* Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight, and does not change size with moisture content.
* The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2" of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.