* 8# double face sledge hammer with hickory handle.
* Forged tool steel head, Made in USA, with clear lacquer finish to deter rust.
* Striking face is precision machined with proper radius and chamfer (bevel), providing safer performance.
* Heat treated after machining for increased depth of hardness. (Turning after hardening looks more attractive (on competitor's tools) but leaves less depth.)
* Heat treatment produces fine grain structure and Rc 46-54 (Rockwell) for safety and toughness.
* 36" American-made hickory handle, kiln dried before turning. Eye section is then dried below 10% moisture content prior to assembly.
* Handle is hydraulically inserted into head and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge, providing a very secure mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2" to 1" of handle length is removed during assembly.
* Meets or exceeds ASME B107.54-2001.
This product meets the GSA spec for NSN# 5120-00-251-4489.