1.5 lb. Firemen’s axe with 14″ curved handle. Traditional pickhead style.
1.5# Pickhead Axe; 14″ Curved Hickory Handle
1.5 lb. Firemen’s axe with 14″ curved handle. Traditional pickhead style. Cutting bit on one end and a pick designed to penetrate on the other. Cutting edge is approximately 3 inches in overall length.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered cutting edge.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Body coated with red enamel and the cutting edge in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 14″ American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight, and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.