Sometimes referred to as a carpenter’s axe or a ship builder’s axe.
2.75# Broad Axe; Criss Cross Leather Sheath and Wooden Handle
Sometimes referred to as a carpenter’s axe or a ship builder’s axe. A mid sized tool sharpened in a center-cut style (both sides of the blade beveled) making it great for chopping or notching.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- 28″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as-forged condition.
- Coated with clear lacquer to deter rust.
- Axe head is seated onto the handle in a traditional manner using a wooden wedge crossed with a metal wedge for added security.
- Premium USA-made leather sheath is included