3.5 lb. Dayton pattern single bit axe with 36″ fiberglass handle.
3.5# Dayton SB Axe; 36″ Fiberglass Handle
3.5 lb. Dayton pattern single bit axe with 36″ fiberglass handle. Dayton pattern so named for the Dayton, Ohio area. A full sized felling axe for general axe chores. Cutting edge is approximately 4.75″ of overall length and the poll is square.
- Forged steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with black enamel and cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36″ yellow clad style fiberglass handle. Traditional single bit shape. Construction is a pultruded structural fiberglass core with an injection molded jacket acting as an exterior body. The jacket is tough, durable engineered polymer. Extremely strong, non-conductive and non-corrosive.
- Axe head is joined to the handle with a strong resilient epoxy, forming a chemical and mechanical bond. The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond.