3.5 lb. Jersey pattern single bit axe with phantom bevels and a 36″ straight handle.
3.5# Jersey Classic w/ Forged Bevels; 36″ Straight Wooden Handle
3.5 lb. Jersey pattern single bit axe with phantom bevels and a 36″ straight handle. Sometimes referred to as a “Baltimore Jersey” pattern, this shape features lugs or ears that increase the surface contact area with the handle. The geographic origins are self explanatory. The earlier Kentucky and North Carolina patterns were somewhat similar. A full-sized felling axe for general axe chores. Phantom bevels or hallows are designed to reduce sticking and burst wood chips.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Natural steel finish on head and cutting edge coated in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36″ straight American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.