3.75 lbs. Pulaski Axe; NFES VersionSKU: 38PE136 NFES
3.75 lbs. Pulaski axe with 36 in. hickory handle.Where to Buy
3.75 lbs. Pulaski axe with 36 in. hickory handle. Thought to have been developed in the early 1900’s by Edward Pulaski, a legendary Forest Service Ranger in Idaho. It is said that in August, 1910 his presence saved the lives of 45 men during a difficult time in a large fire. A traditional style bit axe blade on one end and a mattock blade for digging or grubbing on the other end. Used in a variety of settings including forestry and general landscaping. This version is made to the USFS specification using sharpening guages on both axe and mattock ends, and the handle meets all dimensional specs required.
- Forged from 1080 steel. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, single bit edge and mattock blade.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 53-58.
- Body coated with black enamel matching required paint chip and the cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36 in. Top grade double bit American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated PVC wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the PVC choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2 in. of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly. OAL is nominal.
- Produced in accordance with US Forest Service specification 5100-355E.
- This product meets the GSA spec for NSN# 5120-00-293-3467.
Prop 65 Warning: This product contains Nickel (metallic), a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.
There are no reviews yet.
You may also like…
3.75 lbs. Pulaski Axe; Straight HandleMSRP $88.08 View Details about 3.75 lbs. Pulaski Axe; Straight Handle
Combi Tool; Pick & Shovel Multi-PurposeMSRP $174.35 View Details about Combi Tool; Pick & Shovel Multi-Purpose
McLeod Tool; 48 in. Wooden HandleMSRP $138.02 View Details about McLeod Tool; 48 in. Wooden Handle