3.5 lbs. Michigan Double Bit; 36 in. Straight Wooden HandleSKU: 35-2MR
3.5 lbs. Michigan pattern double bit axe with a 36 in. straight handle.Where to Buy
3.5 lbs. Michigan pattern double bit axe with a 36 in. straight handle. Michigan pattern originated from the state of the same name. Double bit axes were sometimes sharpened in different ways. One end was thinner and sharper and used for knot-free cutting; the other end was thicker and blunter and was used when knots were present or to cut near the ground where contact with dirt was likely.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened double bits for cutting and splitting, sharpened in the same manner.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge.
- Head coated with red enamel and cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36 in. double-bit American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2 in. of overall length of handle is removed during assembly.
You may also like…
3.5 lbs. Dayton SB Axe; 36 in. Curved Wooden HandleMSRP $70.27 View Details about 3.5 lbs. Dayton SB Axe; 36 in. Curved Wooden Handle