3.5 lbs. Sport Utility Michigan Classic Double Bit; 36 in. Straight Wooden HandleSKU: SU35-2MC
3.5 lbs. Michigan pattern double bit axe with phantom bevels and a 36 in. straight handle.Where to Buy
3.5 lbs. Michigan pattern double bit axe with phantom bevels and a 36 in. straight handle. Phantom bevels — or hollows — are designed to reduce sticking and minimize burst wood chips. Michigan pattern originated from the state of the same name. Double bit axes were sometimes sharpened in different ways. One end was thinner and sharper and used for knot-free cutting; the other end was thicker and blunter and was used when knots were present or to cut near the ground where contact with dirt was likely.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened double bits for cutting and splitting, sharpened in the same manner.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge.
- Natural steel finish on head and cutting edges.
- 36 in. double-bit American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2 in. of overall length of handle is removed during assembly.
The axes are beautiful. Each will be engraved with the Boy Scout emblem, our Troop number, and the name of of the young man earning the Eagle Scout award. I will present them to the boys in recognition of their achievement. The double bit axe is emblematic of the American pioneering spirit of confidence, self reliance, and the traditional skills that are integral to our heritage. Thank you for making such fine products in the USA!
Prop 65 Warning: This product contains Nickel (metallic), a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.
There are no reviews yet.