2.25 lbs. Boy’s Axe; 24 in. Curved Wooden Handle Sport Utility FinishSKU: SU22B24C
2.25 lbs. Dayton axe head outfitted with a 24 in. curved hickory handle.Where to Buy
2.25 lbs. Dayton axe head outfitted with a 24 in. curved hickory handle. Popularly referred to as a “boy’s” axe. A “mid” sized tool. Dayton pattern originated from the Dayton, Ohio, area.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with boiled Linseed Oil over the as forged finish.
- 24 in. curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4 in. of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
Customer comments about the 22BR24C:
“I just wanted to say that I learned about Council Tool within the past year. I am involved in bushcraft and camping and when the announcement came out that CT was going to produce some higher quality axes aimed at my hobby, most of us took notice. Earlier this year, I saw a video on YouTube by Israel Turley of Turley Knives on your Boy’s Axe. He thought very highly of it and showed that a $40 tool made in the USA could compete with Wetterlings and Gransfors Bruks. I ended up buying a Boy’s Axe online and just used it for the first time this weekend. It is an excellent axe! I am very, very pleased with it and I’m looking forward to many long years of use.”
You may also like…
2.25 lbs. Boy’s Axe; 28 in. Curved Wooden Handle Sport Utility FinishMSRP $68.77 View Details about 2.25 lbs. Boy’s Axe; 28 in. Curved Wooden Handle Sport Utility Finish
2lb Hudson Bay Camp Axe; 18 in. Curved Wooden Handle Sport Utility FinishMSRP $71.49 View Details about 2lb Hudson Bay Camp Axe; 18 in. Curved Wooden Handle Sport Utility Finish
3.5 lbs. Jersey Classic Axe w/ 32 in. Curved Handle Sport Utility FinishMSRP $85.89 View Details about 3.5 lbs. Jersey Classic Axe w/ 32 in. Curved Handle Sport Utility Finish
Paul Cox –
pack ability. Bought the forestry service specs version of this axe some 8 years ago and use it all the time while I’m cutting my 6 cords of firewood every year. Great quality, excellent edge retention and easy to sharpen. Reissue these if you can please.